Steampunk Device by Gregory Smith

Steampunk Device by Gregory Smith

My entry to Weekly CG Challenge 108. This was a difficult topic for me, and it was hard to find something I personally found interesting in the Steampunk aesthetic. To make it more interesting to work on, I decided to stop using Blender as soon as I had the vessels, and see if I could finish the image in 2D. This was surprisingly successful, and I used both hand painting and my own photographs to put the picture together. The land and sea in the Blender scene was added for reference, both in compiling the image and for painting, whilst the sea was also a useful mask when rendering the ships, so that I didn’t need to cut off the lower sections later.

View this on ArtStation
Gregory Smith on ArtStation

The final image

The final image

Clay render

Clay render

The final render, with the layers compiled before painting

The final render, with the layers compiled before painting

A midway WIP, before starting on the foam

A midway WIP, before starting on the foam

Steampunk Device Breakdown

visit Gregory on Artstation

Leave a Reply

Privacy

We value your privacy

We and our partners use technology such as cookies on our site to personalise content and ads, provide social media features, and analyse our traffic. Click below to consent to the use of this technology across the web.

Skip to toolbar